Thursday, January 10, 2013

Creative Teaching at MDMI

Madolenihmw, Pohnpei
Thursday, January 10, 2013
.
Creative Teaching at MDMI
I have jumped back into my teaching schedule at the Every Home for Christ MDMI Missions School on the other side of the island on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I continue to teach on the Holy Spirit from the curriculum I have been given by their leadership, interjecting my own thoughts and going with the flow, as I am still baffled that I am teaching on the Holy Spirit. That's sort of like predicting which way the wind will blow from day to day. A lot of guesswork involved. This is a subject that is more "caught" than "taught" in my opinion. Nonetheless, I am doing all I can to somehow take the Scriptural truths combined with my own personal experiences and give the students the training they need to go out as missionaries throughout the island of Pohnpei and beyond.



.

Today the lesson seemed long and boring. I wrote out all the notes on the chalk board for the students to copy into their note books. Then the idea came to me to have the students break up into five groups and act out the lesson for the day which was, "The Holy Spirit in the Life of Christ and in the Church." The students hit the ball out of the park with funny skits from Scripture portraying the partnership between the Holy Spirit and Jesus during His earthly ministry. I find that in cross-cultural settings, stories and skits are far more effective teaching tools than a bunch of information and facts.
.
Christian Jung

No comments:

Post a Comment